Saturday, January 24, 2009

Inaugural Music

Belated congratulations to President Barack Obama and all those who made his election victory possible. Since this is a music site and I'm trying my best not to include politics I just want to share a few thoughts about the music played by the venerable classical musicians who braved the below freezing temperatures that January morning at the capital building. Even though most people heard the pre-recorded version they did play along to it knowing that their instruments would be stretching the limits in such conditions. Also they did not bring out their million dollar "babies."

Here's more on the story thanks to Southeast to Southwest.


As far as the piece which was a take-off on Aaron Copeland's arrangement of the Shaker hymn Simple Gifts, by John Williams. I thought it was very nice althought I prefer Copeland's simplicity and inspiration.

As hoped for, (by me), it did get to a choral summation before the coda after a sophisticated ensemble played beautifully by the group.